Monday 25 January 2016

Syn free slow cooked kofta curry

I love my slow cooker!  I’ve always been a huge slow cooking fan, partly because it saves me a lot of faffing about and always makes perfect meals but since I’ve been on this diet I’ve found it’s possibly the single best kitchen aid for adding flavor to diet food.  

Anyone on a diet knows that removing fat removes at least part of the flavor from a meal and the only real way to replace that is with a well-seasoned, flavor infused dish.  Indian food uses a myriad of spices which naturally lends itself especially well, in my opinion, to slow cooking.    

With that in mind I’ve tried a couple of different curries recently and this weekend did a kofta curry taste off.  I have a divided pot for my slow cooker and in one side did beef (using 5% mince) and in the other I made lamb koftas.  I don’t use lamb mince from the supermarket as it’s too high in fat, instead I went to the butcher who very kindly deboned and removed the visible fat from a couple of lamb joints then minced the lot for me.  I had enough to make the koftas and more in the freezer to make a shepherd’s pie later in the month – bonus!

To go with the meatballs I did plain rice and also sautéed some onions to make an onion and saffron rice as a completely syn free meal.  Clearly I could add veggies and oher speed food but apart from the onion in the lamb koftas I didn’t have any as, well to be honest I’m a little bored of fruit and veg and had the day off!

Syn free lamb kofta curry with rice
The results was that both were absolutely delicious however the lamb slightly more so, but that may have been because I’ve not had lamb for ages and it is one of my all-time favourites.  

The recipe for the koftas is here but you may want to look at the pulled chicken tikka masala in the slow cooker, I thought it was delicious too and my friends at fat class who made it agree that it’s well worth a go!

Kathy xx

No comments:

Post a Comment