Wednesday 6 July 2016

Pulled Pork – the Quick Version!

I usually make pulled pork from scratch using a dry rub and slow cooking in stock on a bed of onions and garlic for hours to do its thing, the result is a syn free, absolutely delicious shoulder of pork but I acknowledge that it takes about 7 hours to do and not everyone has time (or the dry rub ingredients) to faff about with that so I was interested to try a pork loin potential alternative recommended in class.  

As you know, I very rarely use prepackaged food but off to Aldi I went to buy this pork loin (and the wine that fell into my basket!).  It was only £2.99 and is an almost ignore-able 2.5 syns for it all, got to be worth a try right?  

Anyway, I decide in my infinite wisdom that I would not read the instructions and would in fact do my own thing and cook in the slow cooker after work and while I’m at class that way I could deal with it when I get home, which sounded like an excellent plan until I learned at class that you’re only supposed to bake it for about 45 minutes.  Oooopsie... too late by now, it was sat in two cups of chicken stock having been somewhat unceremoniously plopped into the slow cooker, I did add the extra BBQ sauce from the vacuum sealed bag but I did nothing else to it, just switched the cooker on low and left it.  

When I got back from class I turned it over (that’d be about 3 hours later) and left for another hour just hoping for the best…..  The result?  Pulled pork and I have to say it’d really quite good.  No, it’s not as flavorsome as when you leave overnight in a dry rub and slow cook for hours but as a quick and cheap, down and dirty way to get a lot of pulled pork for your syns I’d highly recommend giving it a go.  

Quick, low syn pulled pork - 2.5 syns for all this!
If you want to do the syn free, super tasty one the recipe is here.  Alternatively, a couple of squirts of BBQ sauce and you have a huge portion for under 4 syns, another really good way to do it.

Enjoy
Kathy xx

No comments:

Post a Comment