Friday 1 July 2016

Breakfast in a (big) jar

I love breakfast, yes I agree that they’re commonly accepted as the most important meal of the day but I’m always hungry first thing and want something filling to get me through the morning at work.  
 
I’ve been having Weetabix muffins for months but recently seem to have Weetabix muffin fatigue and swapped to baked oats.  Even better I get six per portion but after a gain this week I fear my baked oats are stretching the jam/Nutella syns too much (either that or those two bottles of wine hit me!) and I’ve dialed them back slightly.  

So this week I started having overnight oats which were really good and super filling, almost like flapjacks but I’ve been missing ‘crunchy’ food if that makes sense?  I’m not a crunching on a carrot stick kind of a girl so I tried something new – a crunchy bran layer which is like overnight oats but without the oats, and well without the overnight as well if we’re honest.  So I guess I made something up and put it in my overnight oats jar…anyway….I layered lemon tart yogurts (weight watchers – no syns) with Weetabix crunchy bran and blueberries.  You can have 40g of the bran as your heb which is more than other cereals.  It was good, a bit weird as it’s basically having cereal without milk, using yogurt instead but really filling.  If I’m honest it wasn’t my favourite breakfast ever but next time I’m going to squish the Weetabix into crumbs and add some ground ginger/mixed spice and use that in the layers as I think it’ll make a cheesecake style treat.

Crunchy Weetabix bran with lemon and blueberry layers
It looks good, is filling and gave a great crunch so in that way it’s a yes.  It was a faff to assemble at my desk and a bit dry so that wasn’t so much of a yes but I’ll have it again and see how I feel…if you have a better idea for layers let me know and I’ll give it a try.
Enjoy
Kathy xx

No comments:

Post a Comment