Tuesday 12 July 2016

Syn free cheese and bacon scones

I love cheese and I love cheese scones.  Recently I had a cheese scone bigger than my head as part of an afternoon tea which, whilst very yummy, did contribute to a not tiny gain!  So it was time to get my tweaky hat on and make some from Smash. 

That middle plate could hardly hold the cheese scone - I ate it to help out!!
Let me get this out of the way - yes, I know they are a tweak but I’m not going to get hung up on that, I did not eat all nine at once, and whilst I did used the smash in a different way to the intention I still managed portion control so nope, I’m not counting it.  Smash is syn free…smash scones are syn free.The cheese is part of my hea and is Pilgrim low fat mature cheddar as I think it's really tasty for a low fat cheese option (a lot of low fat cheeses taste like licking a plastic chair and personally I 'd rather not, so I go with the Pilgrim one).

As some of you know, I’ve made syn free cheese scones before but I didn’t have a hand blender.  They tasted very good but the cottage cheese gave them a slightly lumpy consistency – which is ok, don’t get me wrong but this time I blended it all into a smooth paste/dough and shaped them in cookie cutters and the end result was a much smoother, more evenly blended scone without the cottage cheese bombs.    I preferred them although it could just as easily have been the introduction of bacon I liked!

Syn free cheese and bacon scones

Anyway, I made and shared them and apparently they’re delicious!  I didn’t try them cold, not sure how they would be but warm from the oven is great…really worth a try and they’re perfect to take if you’re visiting friends too…my non slimming friends love them! 

Much smoother with the blender although the bacon is a winner!!

Next I think I’m going to add some caramelized onions, see how that works but for now if you want to make them the recipe is here

Enjoy
Kat xx

No comments:

Post a Comment