Thursday 31 March 2016

One year on

So it’s here, my one year anniversary at Slimming World and in those 52 weeks I’ve gone from a size 22 to a size 10/12 and lost just under 7 stone.

 
It’s been an incredible journey and not one I was really expecting when I decided that I was going to lose weight.  At 43 I’ve tried loads of times and never really managed more than a few pounds and I don’t think anyone, including me if I’m honest, thought this would be much different but I’d moved to a new area and decided to combine my weight loss goal with meeting new people and maybe making a friend or two.

I remember joining the local Slimming World group, I’d texted the class leader and specifically asked if they were friendly - which I’m sure made me sound like a mad woman.  She was right when she said yes, I’m very fortunate to have met some really lovely people in class over the last year and we’ve helped each other when losing weight has seemed almost impossible.  There are a few of us that sit together in class, we cook for each other and I even have a Black Country ‘Mum’ on a Tuesday night.

My first goal was to lose 3 stone.  After being heavy for almost 20 years I never thought I’d get there but in my first week I lost 5 pounds and never really looked back.  I stuck to plan and was really strict, annoying most of the people around me in the process.  The easiest way to tell my friends and family was to just say I didn’t eat anything with more than 5% fat as that’s simple to cater for and less scary to people than explaining the ins and outs of syns! 

I had a lot of weight to lose, my BMI was 44 and I was in the morbidly obese category.  I got out of breath going up stairs, struggled to cross my legs and was always afraid that I wouldn’t fit in the seats at restaurants.  My bottom was so big I once knocked a glass of wine over when I got up to leave a restaurant….there are so many stories like that, as well as small things that cross your mind and hold you back...will I fit into the seat on the plane, can I find a jump suit when we’re go karting, am I the biggest person in the room…it’s been strange as those barriers fall away and I can say them out loud to people.  Friends that have always been slim seem amazed at the things bigger people worry about.

But I got there, I lost the 3 stone and it took a few short months but I still didn’t look like I’d hoped, Beyonce I was not so I reset my target and kept going. At 5 stone gone I thought maybe I was done but my body still lost so I kept going, at 6 stone I knew I was pretty much there and I adjusted my target one final time to 6 ½ stone off.  It was a desperate struggle to get to that final target so the class leader and I agreed this was clearly a natural point for me and I’ve stayed hovering around this loss for a couple of months now.

Sometimes people tell me it was easy and I never know what to say.  It isn’t easy, not at all, and it never was.  There isn’t really a secret (unless you can count being incredibly stubborn).  For me I found being in a routine helped me so much, I had a ‘set’ breakfast which everyone that knows me knows is weetabix muffins and a huge bowl of fruit.  Lunch is always a salad with meat and a Muller Light and dinner is usually meat and veggies of some sort.  I pretty much cut out fat, carbs, booze, Haribos and chocolate and something tells me I was an absolute bear to deal with but for the most part people were great.  Don’t get me wrong, not everyone was supportive and I’ve had some really unhappy surprises where people are jealous, feel threatened or just plain mean and it might have caused some tears along the way but it didn’t stop me.  I think the strangest thing is that we are all judged by our appearance, whether we like it or not and it’s been an eye opener to see how people are different towards me now, bear in mind I am the same person I was 7 stone ago so when I hear ‘I’m not fat-ist but I would NEVER have asked you out before but do you want to go for a drink’ even I was too stunned to come up with a suitable reply that didn’t contain swearing.  But that’s other people and the ones that truly cared about me then care about me still. 

As the weight dropped off I found I could move more, I wanted to and took up fencing.  I’m now the proud owner of a custom sabre sword and am proud of the bruises I get from my weekly sword fighting.  I can run 5k without giving it a second thought and regularly achieve my 10,000 steps a day to make my FitBit happy.

So one year down the line I did it.  I’m healthier, happier and in my mid 40s I achieved a milestone.  I lost 7 stone.  I couldn’t do it alone and I didn’t have to, I had people that helped me every day and to them I will always be grateful…someone said to me the other day that they’d never met anyone who’d lost this amount of weight and I was an inspiration.  I don’t think I am but I’m helping anyone that wants to become their own inspiration which to me is the key.

Whatever your own weight loss journey all I can say is plan, don’t be afraid to say it’s difficult and be kind to yourself – it’s not an easy thing to do but you can do it, I promise.

Kathy xx

No comments:

Post a Comment