Thursday 23 June 2016

Mayflower Curry

I’ve always sworn against ‘pre made’ curries, spending hours making my own sauce using a huge box of spices I’ve accumulated over many months but sometimes I just don’t have the time.  I love a curry so I gave in to peer pressure, got myself to B&M and bought the Mayflower curry.  

Apparently it’s like a curry from the Chinese and at 4 syns a portion I was definitely interested in trying it.  I’d no idea what to expect and was quite surprised to find a plastic box filled with spices, not sure why but I was expecting a sauce.  It isn’t, it’s a pre done spice blend that you mix with cold water, bring to the boil and simmer for two minutes before declaring it done.

Now after reading these instructions I was even more skeptical and could see a dinner that tasted of smelly socks on my horizon but I dutifully boiled my onion, added a chilli, garlic and peas and popped in the raw chicken and simmered it all til cooked (takes about 10 minutes).  I drained the chicken/veg mix, added my now simmering curry sauce and sort of left it a few minutes while I faffed with the rice before serving.

The verdict?  Absolutely delicious...you could’ve knocked me over with a feather.  It’s tasty and spicy without being too overwhelming (I tried the medium but I’d added a red chilli).  The sauce is thick and tastes exactly like a curry from the Chinese, or the chip shop.  

Mayflower Curry - only 4 syns a portion
I’ve not put the recipe on here as it basically makes itself and I can’t claim credit for boiling stuff and adding powder but absolutely, 100% try this curry.  I’ve saved some of the extra sauce and frozen it with prawns in for something different.

A great idea for a quick, tasty dinner that’s low in syns and high in taste and I will be having it again, probably tonight!

Enjoy
Kathy xx

No comments:

Post a Comment