Tuesday 20 October 2015

Being weighed by someone else works!

I wonder if it’s just me, but when it comes to weigh day I can’t seem to stop thinking about those dreaded scales…being weighed in public is a huge deal for me and I think one of the reasons Slimming World works.

The first time I went to class I went on my own.  I didn’t know anyone and I was really nervous.  Being new to the area meant that I needed my sat nav to get the 2 miles to class and even the accents were weird, Brummie being very different to the Yorkshire accents I was used to.  I felt out of place, alone, frumpy and downright scared.

I sat through the new person talk with a few other people and liked the consultant, she was really friendly and easy going and made the diet seem pretty straightforward.  Then it came to being weighed and I was horrified.  I saw shock and pity in the eyes of the person weighing me and I was devastated.

The truth of the matter is that I didn’t see shock or pity in anyone’s eyes, it was me.  The person who weighs us is wonderful, helpful, kind, funny and absolutely non-judgmental – it was all how I felt about myself and my weight.  I was so upset when I got home but that was the first step, I’d done something about it and it was just a matter of putting it into practice.

So I did.  I started with my food journal and stuck to the plan.  I didn’t cheat and after a week I went back, I’d lost 5 pounds.  Insanely encouraging so I kept going, sometimes it was easy, sometimes it was the hardest thing ever, but every day I made the decisions to stay on track and not least in part because I knew I was being weighed on Tuesday and I couldn’t fudge it, postpone it, move the scales or hold on to the sink.  The best I could do was take my shoes off!

Every week I’d go back and I’d lost a little more, then a little more, then suddenly it was a lot.  At a stone people still couldn’t tell, at two stone they started to notice and by three it was obvious even to the most disinterested of colleagues but I kept going to class and I got on those scales.

Fast forward to 28 weeks later and I’ve lost 76 pounds.  That’s a lot of standing on the scales and breathing out (I really do!) but every week it was another little loss and every week I got closer to my goal.  Now I’m at target but still every Tuesday I get weighed and by Sunday I start thinking I should watch it as it’s weigh day soon!!!

Tonight will be scary weigh in number 29 and I know if I’ve lost, stayed the same or gained I’ll get encouragement and chat to my friends in class and whatever I have to do for my next target I’ll do.
So here’s to no shoes, no cardy and breathing out as I try to think thin and no pity in anywhere as I did think thin(ner) and 5 ½ stone later I’m ok with those scales.

Kathy xx

No comments:

Post a Comment