Tuesday 6 October 2015

To carb or not to carb

And that really is the diet question….personally I say no to as many as I can, but sadly I’ve yet to meet a carb I didn’t like, in fact I think I could pretty much exist on a carb only diet!  Until they find a way for me to do that and not end up looking like a small bungalow I dodge and weave my way through bread, cakes, pasta and potatoes.  

When I’m really focused on losing weight I cut carbs out completely.  Truth be told, it can make me a little tired but apart from that I seem to be ok with it - but I have done that on and off for a few months now.  Again, I’m not a nutritionist, this is just my own experience but for me, and it seems a bazillion other people, carbs don’t help in the diet journey.

Don’t get me wrong, I do eat carbs but it’s usually (a) I’m cooking for someone else or (b) my Mum and Dad are cooking and they’re like the carb police – ever meal needs a protein, a carb and a veggie so I get what I get and I don’t get upset!  When I’m left to my own devices I’m happy to go without or make an alternative.

Luckily for me I love stir fries.  I have prawn or salmon stir fry at least twice a week and it  plays well into my belief that healthy, filling, tasty food does not come for a packet.  I know I go on about that but I passionately believe that processed food is, when eaten regularly, bad for you.  I like to know what I’m eating and what the people I love are eating when I cook for them.  Even my cakes and treats are made from scratch and no, they’re not healthy!!!

So try my baked salmon or prawns with veg and julienned courgettes.  Chicken works just as well and I’ve even had it with chilli con carne.  Looks weird but it was really tasty.   

It’s only 25 minutes to make and I promise you, you’ll enjoy it!

Kathy xx

Flaked salmon with stir fry veg and courgette juliennes

No comments:

Post a Comment