Thursday 1 October 2015

Diet Shepherd's Pie

I love shepherd’s pie, well I love anything with mince in it full stop (ok, so I’m not really all that posh!) and as the weather’s getting cool I decided to make a healthy shepherd’s pie.  

It’s a hearty, warm meal that fills me up, doesn’t feel especially ‘diet-y’ and won’t sabotage my hard work.  

I put the recipe here:  Diet Shepherd's Pie recipe

As anyone that regularly reads my blog knows, one of my aims is to have food that doesn’t make me feel like I’m dieting, missing out or giving up things I love.  For me, losing weight is a challenge that I have to focus on every single day and it is a whole new way of life.  I can’t eat and drink what I want, I have to watch everything and will always have to, so sharing meals with people not on a diet and having them enjoy it is really important to me.

For anyone on Slimming World with me this recipe is syn free apart from a tiny amount of low fat spread in the mash.  I used ‘I can’t believe it’s not Butter’ and for the whole lot added about 3 tsp which is 3 syns.  These ingredients made 6 portions so that’s ½ a syn per portion.  The cheese on the top was my healthy A for the day so for me that’s more than acceptable plus my non-SW friends loved it.  Double bonus.

Diet Shepherd's Pie

I don't freeze Shepherd's Pie because I don't like the way mash defrosts, it seems runny to me but I do batch cook the mince and freeze that ready for a potato topping.  My American friends tried this and used little croquettes cut upp on teh top and although it sounds amazing I'm not advocating that version as it most certainly is not a diet one!!! 

Kathy xx


No comments:

Post a Comment