Friday 4 September 2015

Putting it into perspective


Got to be honest, I love getting the shiny stickers and certificates but at my first stone I wondered what the weight loss actually translated to, I knew I’d lost weight but I wondered what that meant in real terms so I decided to find out.

Armed with my trusty kitchen scales I dutifully weighed out a stone of paperback books and put them on the table:




This is what a stone in books looks like.  Now it might not look like a lot but it was two trips to put them on the table and when I lifted them all it was cumbersome and awkward. If you’ve lost a stone this is what you’re not carrying round any more.


Every week I weighed out my books and made a pile in the corner at home.  Ignore the dodgy book choices in some instances…I’m slightly embarrassed but promise they are not all mine – my Mum keeps giving me girlie books….


Two months in and the pile weighs 18 pounds and is almost as tall as me and I’m 5’5…


Getting ever closer….

Almost three months into my diet journey, I’ve lost 33 ½ pounds and the books are as tall as me…


15 weeks later and I’ve lost 47 pounds.  The book pile is bigger than me and I can’t reach to add to it (plus I have no paperbacks left!)…

It was really something to see the book pile growing, I admit I bored friends and family with updates but really important I could see every week just what losing weight meant and it helped keep me focused.  When I felt like cheating I’d make myself walk past the book pile to get to the kitchen and remind myself how far I’d come, how much I’d achieved and did I really want to cheat.  I never, ever did.

No comments:

Post a Comment