Thursday 24 September 2015

When your get up and go has got up and gone

As I get close to six months on my diet journey a lot of people are asking me how I’ve done it and I get a lot of requests to share my willpower!  

What I wanted to touch on is that I, and a fellow dieter who consistently loses weight, have been accused of ‘finding it easy’ or ‘not having to try’ which frustrates us both no end.  It is not easy, not at all and I do have to try.  Every day I try.

I’ve had many, many times where I’ve wanted a glass of wine, Haribos or toast with butter…sometimes all of them together - but I don’t.  There’s no secret, no magic wand – I just don’t.  Of course I want to cheat, but every time I get close I stop and take a breath.  I think about all the reasons I started this journey and what it means to me.  

We talked about this in class the other day, what the everyday changes are and for me there’s loads.  I love that I can now buy clothes anywhere, the seat in my car seems bigger, I don’t have to look around restaurants and think ‘where can I sit’…it’s so many little things and some big ones.  The look I get when friends see me for the first time in months and don’t know what to say.  Being told for the first time in my life at 42 that I’m petite, dainty or small.  All these little things add up and contribute towards motivating me, but when they’re not enough and I still want to fall off the wagon I rely on plain old habit.  

Over the past few months I’ve created a little routine for myself and whilst it’s not exciting it’s what I need to stay focused: 

I always have breakfast, and it’s always a decent size to set me up for the day.
I have a salad with something meat –ish and a yogurt for lunch. 
I have a very low fat, usually carb free dinner.  Often I have fish and stir fried veg or chilli
I love coffee and I have flavoured coffee all day but I have skimmed milk.

When I go out I usually go for chicken or fish, no dressing and salad or a plain jacket potato.  I’ve been known to steal a couple of chips though….

As far as booze goes, I’ve swapped my daily wine for maybe a couple of glasses a week.  Oddly enough I found I missed the glass more than anything, drinking from it as I watched TV was a habit and for a while I had my wine glass with sparkling water in.  On an evening I’d add slices of lemon or lime just so it felt ‘different’ to a daytime drink.  The delivery man from Tesco used to curse me as he carried them all into the house!!

If I need to snack I always have fruit on hand, it’s chopped and ready to eat plus I have a selection of slimming world bars in the fridge.  I don’t want to be poking through the cupboards as I’ll only find things I should avoid - so when the munchies hit I go straight to the fridge and know it won’t knock me off track.

So that’s my advice for what it’s worth, create a routine and it’ll carry you through; motivation is what got you started, habit is what will keep you going.
I hope it works for you, it does for me.

Kathy xx



No comments:

Post a Comment